Hello: I had a pipe burst in my dining room ceiling recently that spewed water for approx. a half hour or so before I found it and shut off the water. Water penetrated the floor and surrounding walls & dropped into my unfinished basement. My dining room had blueboard with veneer plaster covering and then wallpaper. I cleaned the area in about 8-10 hours and then had a restoration co. dry the area out for approx. a week with blowers & large dehumidifiers. My concern is the blueboard behind the plaster in the bottom of the walls where the water penetrated. Should that be replaced since everything I read is that when drywall (aka blueboard) gets wet, mold can form eventually & as a result it should likely be replaced. Is that true? My contractor says since the outer plaster is hard, that the drywall behind such is likely OK, is that statement accurate or not?
Also, I presume my plywood flooring drys out OK and does not need replaced. I removed the wet carpet and padding within a few hours of the incident and dry vac'd the plywood floors. There is some back coler stains near the corners of some walls etc. My contractor says it's not mold & is normal. Is that correct or should I be concerned?
Thanks for any advice.
I would think that the black spots could very well be mold. If water got inside your walls then mold will grow there as it is dark and takes a long time to dry out.
Cedar siding & roof
Flashing does not extend all the way to the side of ...
roof leak detection
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps