I am working on what seems to be a nightmare remodel. The previous owners painted over wallpaper. I want to repaint the kitchen and living room but need to remove the wall paper first. I would just paint over it but it is coming up in places and the seams are showing.. What is the best route to remove this without damaging the drywall? I know this will be time consuming but I want to do it right and be done with it.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance
If the walls were not sized and or primed before the wallpaper was installed it will tear off the facepaper of the drywall and then you will have to skim coat the entire wall to make them smooth. That is most likely why they painted over it in the first place. I would repair the loose places and maybe mud over the seams and leave the wallpaper there.
It was really hard to take off wall papers specially if it was pasted their for years and even more it was painted. Is the wall cement or wood? if its wood, i suggest you tried your best taking off all wallpapers before repainting it.
This sounds like a really big nightmare. Hope you managed to solve the problem without causing any permanent damage to your wall. That is why one has to be careful when buying houses, you never know what is in store.
painting over paneling that I have filled the grove...
painted wallpaper removal
Removing old paneling
removing wallpaper from paneling
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them