Paint or stain for wood paneling?
I have successfully painted several rooms of "regular", smooth finish paneling. I like the look, and even kept the grooves. However, I have one room I want to paint which as a more rustic type of paneling. It is more like boards, and has a bit of rough surface. It's a fairly dark wood, and I'd like to either make it look weathered by staining, or paint it. In both cases, I'd be using a gray color. I don't want to sand the walls - what's the best way to go?
You will not be able to stain the paneling unless there is no finish on it. You will want to make sure the paneling is clean and free of any wax. If this is real wood paneling and not the sheet type, then you will want to prime with a shellac based primer such as Zinsser BIN. This primer will hold back the knots in real wood paneling. The finsh paint can be the acrylic latex topcoat of your choice.
If you paint this with an eggshell or better yet, a semi-gloss paint, a "glazing liquid" or graining liquid can be tinted (not mixed with paint!) and then brushed over the cured paint to highlight the grain. Oil based liquids are easiest to work with. Brush or roll the liquid on and brush through with a dry brush until it sets up then move on to the next section and repeat.
I am all for stain paneling. Painting just hides the natural beauty of wood.I found some amazing tongue and groove paneling for my own holiday house , and it turned out amazing.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers