I have a two story wood frame house that is about 20 years old. The wood boards that make up the upstairs floor are 1 1/2" by 5" (thick/width) covered with carpeting. My problem is the noise the squeaky boards make when someone is walking around upstairs (like the kids!!!). Also when someone is having a conversation upstairs the sound is heard through the ceiling. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanx.
If the carpeting is streched in, I would pull it up in a corner and look underneath. Try to figure out where the noise is coming from. Is it from the tongue and grooves rubbing together, or the boards rubbing against the subfloor.
Check to see if there is a good cushion underneath the carpeting. Generally carpeting with a good, dense bonded pad cuts down on the noise levels.
type of wood floor
resealing wood floor without totally sanding the who...
Squeaky subfloors upstairs
Porcelain Tile over wood floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!