I have a two story wood frame house that is about 20 years old. The wood boards that make up the upstairs floor are 1 1/2" by 5" (thick/width) covered with carpeting. My problem is the noise the squeaky boards make when someone is walking around upstairs (like the kids!!!). Also when someone is having a conversation upstairs the sound is heard through the ceiling. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanx.
If the carpeting is streched in, I would pull it up in a corner and look underneath. Try to figure out where the noise is coming from. Is it from the tongue and grooves rubbing together, or the boards rubbing against the subfloor.
Check to see if there is a good cushion underneath the carpeting. Generally carpeting with a good, dense bonded pad cuts down on the noise levels.
type of wood floor
resealing wood floor without totally sanding the who...
Squeaky subfloors upstairs
Porcelain Tile over wood floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!