I'm becoming very confused with the term "shower pan". Is this a metal PAN that's under the tile shower floor, or is this just a term used to describe a bed of mortar, a waterproof membrane layer, another bed of mortar and then the tile floor? Please ease my confusion. Thanks.
Actually, you have just about covered it. It is the subbase of a shower stall. It has had a long evolutionary process, so, can't really say what yours is made from. Its origin began as a metal pan placed in or on a bed of mortar. It has since been made of plastic, fiberglass and now a membrane over a thinset base. Once the pan and material is in place, then the tile or shower stall is placed directly on it for the finished look. The pan will generally have the 1/4" per foot slope built into it along with the drain hole. Can it be repaired? Not really worth the effort. A new installation would be advisable......
Sorry about my rude reply. I think I got overcome by the power of anonymity and didn't have a witty answer to your reasonable question :-(
I am having the same problem. But most of all I don't know how to remove the metal drain. It is made of steel. please help!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes