I'm becoming very confused with the term "shower pan". Is this a metal PAN that's under the tile shower floor, or is this just a term used to describe a bed of mortar, a waterproof membrane layer, another bed of mortar and then the tile floor? Please ease my confusion. Thanks.
Actually, you have just about covered it. It is the subbase of a shower stall. It has had a long evolutionary process, so, can't really say what yours is made from. Its origin began as a metal pan placed in or on a bed of mortar. It has since been made of plastic, fiberglass and now a membrane over a thinset base. Once the pan and material is in place, then the tile or shower stall is placed directly on it for the finished look. The pan will generally have the 1/4" per foot slope built into it along with the drain hole. Can it be repaired? Not really worth the effort. A new installation would be advisable......
Sorry about my rude reply. I think I got overcome by the power of anonymity and didn't have a witty answer to your reasonable question :-(
I am having the same problem. But most of all I don't know how to remove the metal drain. It is made of steel. please help!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!