I'm becoming very confused with the term "shower pan". Is this a metal PAN that's under the tile shower floor, or is this just a term used to describe a bed of mortar, a waterproof membrane layer, another bed of mortar and then the tile floor? Please ease my confusion. Thanks.
Actually, you have just about covered it. It is the subbase of a shower stall. It has had a long evolutionary process, so, can't really say what yours is made from. Its origin began as a metal pan placed in or on a bed of mortar. It has since been made of plastic, fiberglass and now a membrane over a thinset base. Once the pan and material is in place, then the tile or shower stall is placed directly on it for the finished look. The pan will generally have the 1/4" per foot slope built into it along with the drain hole. Can it be repaired? Not really worth the effort. A new installation would be advisable......
Sorry about my rude reply. I think I got overcome by the power of anonymity and didn't have a witty answer to your reasonable question :-(
I am having the same problem. But most of all I don't know how to remove the metal drain. It is made of steel. please help!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers