Recently my husband and I bought a home that has wall to wall pink carpeting on the first floor and stairs leading to the second floor. We are looking to rip this up ourselves. Any suggestions on how to do this without ruining the hardwood floor underneath. I want to make sure that I get all the staples and everything else that was used to put the carpet down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Janis, unless they did something unusual (besides the color) you should only have to deal with the tack strips around the perimeter. The simpliest method for tearing out the carpet is to pick a corner and start pulling, you may have to pry the carpet loose at first in the corner in able to get a grip on it. Once you've started you'll see the tack strips which will have to be pryed loose from the hardwood, do this after you've gotten the carpet completely out. Oh, I almost forgot you'll have to remove the pad as well, but that's very simple. Good luck!
Douglas fir as a floor
Hardwood flooring over particle board underlayment
Removing Carpeting to paint cement...
pulling up old carpet, wish to restore hardwood unde...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!