Recently my husband and I bought a home that has wall to wall pink carpeting on the first floor and stairs leading to the second floor. We are looking to rip this up ourselves. Any suggestions on how to do this without ruining the hardwood floor underneath. I want to make sure that I get all the staples and everything else that was used to put the carpet down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Janis, unless they did something unusual (besides the color) you should only have to deal with the tack strips around the perimeter. The simpliest method for tearing out the carpet is to pick a corner and start pulling, you may have to pry the carpet loose at first in the corner in able to get a grip on it. Once you've started you'll see the tack strips which will have to be pryed loose from the hardwood, do this after you've gotten the carpet completely out. Oh, I almost forgot you'll have to remove the pad as well, but that's very simple. Good luck!
Douglas fir as a floor
Hardwood flooring over particle board underlayment
Removing Carpeting to paint cement...
pulling up old carpet, wish to restore hardwood unde...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!