My kitchen has approx 15 year old Armstrong linoleum in very good condition. The problem is
where small throw rugs with a rubberized backing have been used in a couple of locations.
With the rugs up, the surface of the linoleum is VERY slippery when walking in stocking feet
(only where the rugs were). The linoleum has a mild textured surface, is non-cushioned, and is
the type with a thin clear plastic coating (no wax type) I have tried cleaning with a strong soap
solution, ammonia, and alcohol. Nothing seems to help. My next try is to lightly buff the surface
with a medium steel wool, but I thought I would see if anyone else might have a solution.
Thanks in advance.
I've had the same problem with Marmoleum laid in 2001. I used 320 grit sandpaper, which solves the slipperyness. I suspect rubber-backed rugs have slippery chemicals (e.g., silicone) which transfer to the linoleum. These are not easily removed with detergents because they soak into the flooring, but sanding removes them. I don't have a good solution to the need for throw rugs to catch dirt without causing slipperyness.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!