My kitchen has approx 15 year old Armstrong linoleum in very good condition. The problem is
where small throw rugs with a rubberized backing have been used in a couple of locations.
With the rugs up, the surface of the linoleum is VERY slippery when walking in stocking feet
(only where the rugs were). The linoleum has a mild textured surface, is non-cushioned, and is
the type with a thin clear plastic coating (no wax type) I have tried cleaning with a strong soap
solution, ammonia, and alcohol. Nothing seems to help. My next try is to lightly buff the surface
with a medium steel wool, but I thought I would see if anyone else might have a solution.
Thanks in advance.
I've had the same problem with Marmoleum laid in 2001. I used 320 grit sandpaper, which solves the slipperyness. I suspect rubber-backed rugs have slippery chemicals (e.g., silicone) which transfer to the linoleum. These are not easily removed with detergents because they soak into the flooring, but sanding removes them. I don't have a good solution to the need for throw rugs to catch dirt without causing slipperyness.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!