Should I go to to the trouble of taking the snow off my roof? Am I likely to do more damage by ruining shingles? Why cant I just let spring remove the snow??
How much snow you have on it?How old is the house and how old the roof is can be a big factor in all this
If ice-damming is not a problem on your roof, and the amount of snow is less than 1 ft., then by all means, leave it alone. However, if you have more than 1 ft., and your roof structure is "economically-built", then the weight of snow (45 lbs. per cubic foot) can stress a roof structure. The usual reason people want the snow off their roof is that they have poor insulation/ventilation which leads to ice-damming, which leads to interior damage.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!