Should I go to to the trouble of taking the snow off my roof? Am I likely to do more damage by ruining shingles? Why cant I just let spring remove the snow??
How much snow you have on it?How old is the house and how old the roof is can be a big factor in all this
If ice-damming is not a problem on your roof, and the amount of snow is less than 1 ft., then by all means, leave it alone. However, if you have more than 1 ft., and your roof structure is "economically-built", then the weight of snow (45 lbs. per cubic foot) can stress a roof structure. The usual reason people want the snow off their roof is that they have poor insulation/ventilation which leads to ice-damming, which leads to interior damage.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!