Cutting in hole in tile
I need to cut a round hole for the toilet in one tile.
After I had some tile work done, I used one to cut a tile into matching coasters. It's labor intensive, but you only need to cut one.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited March 19, 2001).]
You can also use a table saw for larger holes like a toilet. Position the hole between tiles instead of inside a single tile so that each tile gets only a semi-circle. Draw the semi-circle guide lines on each tile. Cut a straight line from end to end of each semi-circle. Then make several cuts perpendicular to that diagonal edge, up to the semi-circle line. Make these cuts about a half inch from each other to create a sort of "feathered" pattern. Then chip out the semi-circle. The tile will naturally break at the end of those feather cuts, which, if you have cut them carefully to the semi-circle line, will create a good semi-circle.
You can smooth that edge with a file, a grinding tool, or with a table saw by using the tip of the masonry blade as a grinder. Be careful if doing the latter; it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing with a table saw.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited March 28, 2001).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love