Cutting in hole in tile
I need to cut a round hole for the toilet in one tile.
After I had some tile work done, I used one to cut a tile into matching coasters. It's labor intensive, but you only need to cut one.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited March 19, 2001).]
You can also use a table saw for larger holes like a toilet. Position the hole between tiles instead of inside a single tile so that each tile gets only a semi-circle. Draw the semi-circle guide lines on each tile. Cut a straight line from end to end of each semi-circle. Then make several cuts perpendicular to that diagonal edge, up to the semi-circle line. Make these cuts about a half inch from each other to create a sort of "feathered" pattern. Then chip out the semi-circle. The tile will naturally break at the end of those feather cuts, which, if you have cut them carefully to the semi-circle line, will create a good semi-circle.
You can smooth that edge with a file, a grinding tool, or with a table saw by using the tip of the masonry blade as a grinder. Be careful if doing the latter; it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing with a table saw.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited March 28, 2001).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!