Cutting in hole in tile
I need to cut a round hole for the toilet in one tile.
After I had some tile work done, I used one to cut a tile into matching coasters. It's labor intensive, but you only need to cut one.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited March 19, 2001).]
You can also use a table saw for larger holes like a toilet. Position the hole between tiles instead of inside a single tile so that each tile gets only a semi-circle. Draw the semi-circle guide lines on each tile. Cut a straight line from end to end of each semi-circle. Then make several cuts perpendicular to that diagonal edge, up to the semi-circle line. Make these cuts about a half inch from each other to create a sort of "feathered" pattern. Then chip out the semi-circle. The tile will naturally break at the end of those feather cuts, which, if you have cut them carefully to the semi-circle line, will create a good semi-circle.
You can smooth that edge with a file, a grinding tool, or with a table saw by using the tip of the masonry blade as a grinder. Be careful if doing the latter; it can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing with a table saw.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited March 28, 2001).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!