Well, I must say that your 'plan' is a difficult one to call since you're honest enough to say what your level of handiness is.
What you might want to consider doing first is getting a few bids. As you go, ask questions of the Pro as to what he's going to DO for the price he's quoting. This way, you'll have some first-hand knowledge of what he's going to do AND if you're up to doing the work yourself. There are some jobs that, depending on your level of comfort, are best left to a Pro. (This could be one of them.)
All I can add is that your floors are probably going to be the FIRST thing you and your guests see when they enter your home. With that, you want the floors to look their best! I still suggest you have a few Pros evaluate the floor. You know, SOME floors can't be refinished depending on the type of floor. Have them check it out.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -MOderator
PS: Once you have some info, come back w/particular ?'s and we can go from there.
PPS: Some hard projects are already as easy as they can be. There are only 1 or 2 ways to refinish a hardwood floor ...
PPPS: There are Revitalization products on the market out ther BUT you don't know if you can use them UNLESS you know, specifically, what type of foor you have AND what type of finish you have. (There are no universal fixes ...)
Short of refinishing, Murphy's Oil Soap and then lemon oil actually does wonders to restore old wood floors. Some friends of mine had a huge party way back in college on a wood floor that had little to no finish left on them to begin with. The morning after, it looked like the party had ruined the floors, with tracked-in salt, mud, water, and dried beer and everything. The sort of sight that makes college kids stop, stare helplessly, and think "Shyte, we just lost our security deposit and then some." A few moppings with Murphy's Oil Soap and some lemon oil made the floors look better than when the party began.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited July 14, 2001).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs