Well, I must say that your 'plan' is a difficult one to call since you're honest enough to say what your level of handiness is.
What you might want to consider doing first is getting a few bids. As you go, ask questions of the Pro as to what he's going to DO for the price he's quoting. This way, you'll have some first-hand knowledge of what he's going to do AND if you're up to doing the work yourself. There are some jobs that, depending on your level of comfort, are best left to a Pro. (This could be one of them.)
All I can add is that your floors are probably going to be the FIRST thing you and your guests see when they enter your home. With that, you want the floors to look their best! I still suggest you have a few Pros evaluate the floor. You know, SOME floors can't be refinished depending on the type of floor. Have them check it out.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -MOderator
PS: Once you have some info, come back w/particular ?'s and we can go from there.
PPS: Some hard projects are already as easy as they can be. There are only 1 or 2 ways to refinish a hardwood floor ...
PPPS: There are Revitalization products on the market out ther BUT you don't know if you can use them UNLESS you know, specifically, what type of foor you have AND what type of finish you have. (There are no universal fixes ...)
Short of refinishing, Murphy's Oil Soap and then lemon oil actually does wonders to restore old wood floors. Some friends of mine had a huge party way back in college on a wood floor that had little to no finish left on them to begin with. The morning after, it looked like the party had ruined the floors, with tracked-in salt, mud, water, and dried beer and everything. The sort of sight that makes college kids stop, stare helplessly, and think "Shyte, we just lost our security deposit and then some." A few moppings with Murphy's Oil Soap and some lemon oil made the floors look better than when the party began.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited July 14, 2001).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes