plywood on cement floor
You can either (1) glue it down with liquid nails or mastik, or (2) screw it down with concrete screws, or (3) nail it down with a special air hammer.
Nailing with the air hammer is the best way. The air hammer is very much like a gun, with .22 caliber bullet-sized charges that literally shoot the nails into the concrete through the plywood. Usually, I prefer screws over nails, especially to provide support in the in-out direction as here, but concrete is fickle to screw into and the nail gun does a fine job. You can buy one for about $60-$90 or rent one at any tool rental place.
If you plan to nail a wood floor on top of the plywood, you will need at least 3/4 inch thick plywood. If not, then any thickness will do because you do not need the wood to actually hold weight up as you would if you did not have the concrete floor and instead had joists.
Use pressure treated plywood that has tonues-and-grooves, which are made for use as subflooring and are not green like pressure-treated outdoor deck wood is.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited August 18, 2001).]
OK Southerb. Which is it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps