plywood on cement floor
You can either (1) glue it down with liquid nails or mastik, or (2) screw it down with concrete screws, or (3) nail it down with a special air hammer.
Nailing with the air hammer is the best way. The air hammer is very much like a gun, with .22 caliber bullet-sized charges that literally shoot the nails into the concrete through the plywood. Usually, I prefer screws over nails, especially to provide support in the in-out direction as here, but concrete is fickle to screw into and the nail gun does a fine job. You can buy one for about $60-$90 or rent one at any tool rental place.
If you plan to nail a wood floor on top of the plywood, you will need at least 3/4 inch thick plywood. If not, then any thickness will do because you do not need the wood to actually hold weight up as you would if you did not have the concrete floor and instead had joists.
Use pressure treated plywood that has tonues-and-grooves, which are made for use as subflooring and are not green like pressure-treated outdoor deck wood is.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited August 18, 2001).]
OK Southerb. Which is it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY