Thanks a bunch.
Polyeurothane hardwood floors---dull residue
Thanks a bunch.
Bad news. On a floor that has a polyurethane finish, the Nat'l Oak Hardwood Floor Assoc. says the following:
Any hard surface, like polyurethane, you can use a neutral, no-rinse cleaner. It's best to maintain your finish with the manufacturer's product.
Use as little water as possible. Go back over the area with a dry towel to make sure water does not sit on the surface. Put an area rug in front of the sink, to keep water off the floor.
Now, before anyone recommends something that will FURTHER damage your floor, I'd ctc. the mfgr. of your floor as to what you should do. Be sure to just admit your 'mistake' and move one w/it, and get the 'fix' from them. What you did was use a HOMEMADE cleaner that is meant for a NATURAL wood floor; not one that's been 'finished' (with polyurethane.) As 'they say', use the mfgr.'s recommended cleaner (EVEN if it costs more than you want to pay), to clean the floor, ESPECIALLY if you're in the Warranty period. (If you're in the Warranty period, obviously, you've VOIDED your coverage.) If you're out of the Warranty period, objectively, one is 'free' to do as one pleases.
I'm not really saying this to beat up on you. I'm saying it for the benefit of others that are contemplating the same homemade recipe on their poly floor. For more info, see NOFMA.com. I'm always a bit leary of homemade cleaners unless I see someone else actually using them. What ends up happening all too often is that the 'circumstances' or 'materials' being used aren't the same. Thus, you have a situation similiar to the one you're in (where the outcome isn't quite what you expected.) Now, you may be really POed at a friend.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!