Thanks a bunch.
Polyeurothane hardwood floors---dull residue
Thanks a bunch.
Bad news. On a floor that has a polyurethane finish, the Nat'l Oak Hardwood Floor Assoc. says the following:
Any hard surface, like polyurethane, you can use a neutral, no-rinse cleaner. It's best to maintain your finish with the manufacturer's product.
Use as little water as possible. Go back over the area with a dry towel to make sure water does not sit on the surface. Put an area rug in front of the sink, to keep water off the floor.
Now, before anyone recommends something that will FURTHER damage your floor, I'd ctc. the mfgr. of your floor as to what you should do. Be sure to just admit your 'mistake' and move one w/it, and get the 'fix' from them. What you did was use a HOMEMADE cleaner that is meant for a NATURAL wood floor; not one that's been 'finished' (with polyurethane.) As 'they say', use the mfgr.'s recommended cleaner (EVEN if it costs more than you want to pay), to clean the floor, ESPECIALLY if you're in the Warranty period. (If you're in the Warranty period, obviously, you've VOIDED your coverage.) If you're out of the Warranty period, objectively, one is 'free' to do as one pleases.
I'm not really saying this to beat up on you. I'm saying it for the benefit of others that are contemplating the same homemade recipe on their poly floor. For more info, see NOFMA.com. I'm always a bit leary of homemade cleaners unless I see someone else actually using them. What ends up happening all too often is that the 'circumstances' or 'materials' being used aren't the same. Thus, you have a situation similiar to the one you're in (where the outcome isn't quite what you expected.) Now, you may be really POed at a friend.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs