Thanks a bunch.
Polyeurothane hardwood floors---dull residue
Thanks a bunch.
Bad news. On a floor that has a polyurethane finish, the Nat'l Oak Hardwood Floor Assoc. says the following:
Any hard surface, like polyurethane, you can use a neutral, no-rinse cleaner. It's best to maintain your finish with the manufacturer's product.
Use as little water as possible. Go back over the area with a dry towel to make sure water does not sit on the surface. Put an area rug in front of the sink, to keep water off the floor.
Now, before anyone recommends something that will FURTHER damage your floor, I'd ctc. the mfgr. of your floor as to what you should do. Be sure to just admit your 'mistake' and move one w/it, and get the 'fix' from them. What you did was use a HOMEMADE cleaner that is meant for a NATURAL wood floor; not one that's been 'finished' (with polyurethane.) As 'they say', use the mfgr.'s recommended cleaner (EVEN if it costs more than you want to pay), to clean the floor, ESPECIALLY if you're in the Warranty period. (If you're in the Warranty period, obviously, you've VOIDED your coverage.) If you're out of the Warranty period, objectively, one is 'free' to do as one pleases.
I'm not really saying this to beat up on you. I'm saying it for the benefit of others that are contemplating the same homemade recipe on their poly floor. For more info, see NOFMA.com. I'm always a bit leary of homemade cleaners unless I see someone else actually using them. What ends up happening all too often is that the 'circumstances' or 'materials' being used aren't the same. Thus, you have a situation similiar to the one you're in (where the outcome isn't quite what you expected.) Now, you may be really POed at a friend.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps