Thanks a bunch.
Polyeurothane hardwood floors---dull residue
Thanks a bunch.
Bad news. On a floor that has a polyurethane finish, the Nat'l Oak Hardwood Floor Assoc. says the following:
Any hard surface, like polyurethane, you can use a neutral, no-rinse cleaner. It's best to maintain your finish with the manufacturer's product.
Use as little water as possible. Go back over the area with a dry towel to make sure water does not sit on the surface. Put an area rug in front of the sink, to keep water off the floor.
Now, before anyone recommends something that will FURTHER damage your floor, I'd ctc. the mfgr. of your floor as to what you should do. Be sure to just admit your 'mistake' and move one w/it, and get the 'fix' from them. What you did was use a HOMEMADE cleaner that is meant for a NATURAL wood floor; not one that's been 'finished' (with polyurethane.) As 'they say', use the mfgr.'s recommended cleaner (EVEN if it costs more than you want to pay), to clean the floor, ESPECIALLY if you're in the Warranty period. (If you're in the Warranty period, obviously, you've VOIDED your coverage.) If you're out of the Warranty period, objectively, one is 'free' to do as one pleases.
I'm not really saying this to beat up on you. I'm saying it for the benefit of others that are contemplating the same homemade recipe on their poly floor. For more info, see NOFMA.com. I'm always a bit leary of homemade cleaners unless I see someone else actually using them. What ends up happening all too often is that the 'circumstances' or 'materials' being used aren't the same. Thus, you have a situation similiar to the one you're in (where the outcome isn't quite what you expected.) Now, you may be really POed at a friend.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes