Painted Wood Floors
There are inexpensive services for hire that can do the refinishing in a weekend: much more systematic and efficient than you could ever do it. In Chicago a few years ago, some of these services charged only $1 per square foot to refinish the floor.
If there are dents and divots in the floor, you should re-sand it with a giant belt sander, which will take the finish and a bit of the wood up with it. If not, you can chemically strip the finish/paint, sand it just to smooth it out, and re-finish. Every floor only has a small number of sandings in it, so you want to avoid sanding if you can.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight