Painted Wood Floors
There are inexpensive services for hire that can do the refinishing in a weekend: much more systematic and efficient than you could ever do it. In Chicago a few years ago, some of these services charged only $1 per square foot to refinish the floor.
If there are dents and divots in the floor, you should re-sand it with a giant belt sander, which will take the finish and a bit of the wood up with it. If not, you can chemically strip the finish/paint, sand it just to smooth it out, and re-finish. Every floor only has a small number of sandings in it, so you want to avoid sanding if you can.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!