I'm putting in over 500 sq. ft. of 3/4 floor in a long foyer, 19' x 8; a dining room on left, and a kitchen on right. Floor joists run same direction as foyer. Sub-floor 1 1/2" plywood. Afraid if I run floor across joists will look funny, especially in foyer. Where do I start and What direction? Foyer runs north and south. Never did this before.
Your subfloor is very good (1 1/2 plywood) so don't be concerned about the direction of the floor joists vs the direction of the hardwood flooring. Instead, go with what is most pleasing to your eye. I would start at the door end and lay the flooring longways down the foyer. Be sure you have a good centerline and that both sides are even for best appearance. Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight