I'm putting in over 500 sq. ft. of 3/4 floor in a long foyer, 19' x 8; a dining room on left, and a kitchen on right. Floor joists run same direction as foyer. Sub-floor 1 1/2" plywood. Afraid if I run floor across joists will look funny, especially in foyer. Where do I start and What direction? Foyer runs north and south. Never did this before.
Your subfloor is very good (1 1/2 plywood) so don't be concerned about the direction of the floor joists vs the direction of the hardwood flooring. Instead, go with what is most pleasing to your eye. I would start at the door end and lay the flooring longways down the foyer. Be sure you have a good centerline and that both sides are even for best appearance. Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!