building second level of home. Plans call for siding over existing 4x8 cedar siding. Two out of three contractor I have talked with have suggested pulling of cedar sheeting and attaching siding. Architect and carpenter both suggest furring out upper floor studs to enabling siding to go up evenly. Neither contractor has seen current siding. It is not bowed, warpered or uneven. I would like to avoid Hassle/expense of removing if neccessary. What do you recommned?
I would leave the current siding sheets in place. Most likely it performs a bracing function, at least in the corners. By your description, I assume this is 5/8 fir or cedar faced plywood. If so it is part of the structural integrity of the building, just like plywood sheathing. Don't remove it without applying structural cross bracing (what a pain). The need for furring strips is also questionable if the siding is flat. Applying the new siding directly over the existing sheets will minimize the need for adjustments at window and door jambs and sills. Follow the plans, keep the budget, don't remove the sheet siding.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!