We have a downstairs bathroom with a concrete floor. It has never had anything on it. We are putting peel and stick vinyl tile on it. My question is how do I prep the floor for the highest success rate. I assume I need floor leveling. The concrete is not cracked or pitted but it is not perfect either. What products are recommended? This is the kids bath so I assume there will be some spashing going on. Any help would be appreciated.
first prep the floor with "floor patch" (a cement based product)use the flat side of your trowel to smooth out the floor.then even if you are using "peel and place" type tiles, trowel on a thin coat of floor tile adhesive , let the adhesive dry ,then place your tiles.if you are using a dry back tile use the mgf.recommended adhesive.what ever tile you buy,talk to the sales person and get there input. good luck
Thank you for your quick response. I won't be ready for awhile yet, other repairs needed, but I have already bought the tile certificates. They are the peel and stick type. Where do I find "concrete patch"? Is that it's actual name? Is it a floor leveling compond? What is the extra adhesive called and why do I need it. Please forgive me, I am a rookie. Thank you.
any home center will have floor patch , its not the same as embossing leveler . a 3lb box should cast about $5.00 or less.floor tile (make sure it says tile) adhesive is a good idea on any peel and place job,it will add a lot of "grab" to the floor.henrys #430 is a good one.also dont use a floor primer,every job i know that used primer failed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!