Gaps in old Parquet floor
When finishing hardwood floors, there is a putty made out of sawdust from the type of wood you have on your floor and glue.
In your case, what you need to do or have done is to sand the floor and remove the sealer on the surface. You apply the putty by trowelling it over the entire surface of the floor and it fills any voids and cracks. You let it dry for a day and then you sand it off with the floor sander with a coarse grit paper. Go over it again with a finer grit paper. Restain the floor, wait for a day, then apply a sealer over it.
It is easiest to hire someone who knows what they are doing when sanding a floor with a drum sander-- if you screw up, you can have "chatter" on your floors-- bad sanded spots.
You can rent a floor sander at Home Depot and you can get all of the materials you need at a hardwood floor dealer. Email me if you have any questions-- We refinish floors all of the time.
[This message has been edited by klmal (edited February 26, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?