Gaps in old Parquet floor
When finishing hardwood floors, there is a putty made out of sawdust from the type of wood you have on your floor and glue.
In your case, what you need to do or have done is to sand the floor and remove the sealer on the surface. You apply the putty by trowelling it over the entire surface of the floor and it fills any voids and cracks. You let it dry for a day and then you sand it off with the floor sander with a coarse grit paper. Go over it again with a finer grit paper. Restain the floor, wait for a day, then apply a sealer over it.
It is easiest to hire someone who knows what they are doing when sanding a floor with a drum sander-- if you screw up, you can have "chatter" on your floors-- bad sanded spots.
You can rent a floor sander at Home Depot and you can get all of the materials you need at a hardwood floor dealer. Email me if you have any questions-- We refinish floors all of the time.
[This message has been edited by klmal (edited February 26, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!