sanding/restoring old hardwood floors
Why set the nails? What a good way to ruin an antique looking floor. I can see a reason to set sharp 6p nails or similar as it will tear apart sanding paper, but older cut nails will not, unless there is something I am missing here.
Here's a before and after of the same situation you may be in...
[url=http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/hardwoodinstaller/default.htm[/url] Find Hardwood Floor Contractors
1.) they'll tear the paper,
2.) if you do sand a nail, you'll remove the grit of the pare on that part of the drum and make "lines" on the floor because you'll have a highspot on the paper from sanding a nail.
3.) you can damaged a drum and ruin a good machine therefore affecting you progress on the job and future work.
4.) if a nail is loose it may come up ****her from the vibrations of sanding and buffing.
5.) If you do happen to sand a nail, and not all of them equally, you'll have new looking shiney nails all over the floor, and no matter good of a sanding job you've done you'll see the few shiny nailheads glaring at you..
so, punchem and leave them alone, do not fill them..
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- Best Solutions for Every Messy Kitchen Drawer
- 8 DIY Storage Ideas for a Closet-less Room
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- The Toilets of Tomorrow