staining cherry floor
You will love the look once your done, but getting there is not easy, Cherry has natural tannins that make it get darker with age. You can accelerate the process of aging with Lye. It is dangerous to work with, so if you do it, be careful, wear gloves, a mask and eye protection.
You will need a spray bottle, or one of those garden type sprayer you pump up for a larger area. Fill it with a mixture of wter and lye, you will need to work out how much lye to use by testing the mixture on a peice of scrap cherry. Spray this mixture on the wood, let it set for a few minutes, and wipe it off with clean water. After it dries, see if it darkened enough for you. If not use more lye. Cherry is my favorite wood to work with for just that reason, I hate when cherry is stained, instead of naturally aged. One thing, dont let it dry, you want to make sure you put an even coating on, and kepp it damp until your ready to wipe it all off. After your satisfied with the color and it dries, finish it as you would any other floor, it might require a very light sanding first, but by hand only, not machine.
1.) yoiu can get sick from the LYE.. not an option.
2.) Staining a cherry floor and saying it doesn't look good is personal opinion, not a fact.
3.) if you do not like the colors of conventional stains, try using an analine dye from W.D. Lockwood.. I use them more than solvent based stains anyway..
4.) If you let the lye sit too long it act like a giant pulle of Urine or panit stripper and discolor the floor, you may get green stains all over it or completely black out areas.. I'd avoid doing that. If that's what you want to do, go to disney world while your floors are being done by a professional that has the appropriate equipment and know how..
5.) choosing the finish is as important as choosing a suitable color Cherry looks great with a semigloss water base on it for a finish product..
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs