I am in the process of replacing carpeting in my basement with ceramic tile. I've removed the carpet and there is a rubberish carpet pad that is glued to the concrete floor. It's glued throughout the whole floor and is really stuck on well. What is the easiest way to remove it? If I have to scrape it off it will take me forever. I'm in the Northeast and its been really cold so the concrete floor is cold. Would heating it up with a hairdryer or iron loosen it up enough so it would peel off? Do I need to treat the floor with anything before laying down the thinset? Thanks in advance.
Call a local Carpet contractor. They will advise you in the best way. THey'll probablly suggest a solvent to soften the glue. and then suggest scraping the rest off...
try this, buy a small hand scraper,with a 4" blade,and start scraping,it may come up easy,if so buy the big 8" "stand up" scraper.once you get the floor clean,and smooth,lay your tile.good luck p.s. a can of adhesive remover might be a good idea.
Thanks for the advise. I tried scraping it up but it is really stuck on the concrete. I think I will need to use heat or solvent to soften the glues grip. Right now the pad is just tearing up which is causing more work. The carpet guy at Home Depot says I can't use solvent because it will get in the concrete pores and cause problems with adhesion when I put down the tile. Not sure if that is true but simply trying to remove it without treating it somehow seems almost impossible.
i'm not sure thats true,but you cant install over the rubber,so you may have to try that.try some boiling water over a small area that may break it loose,one other thing,i,m not being a smarta** but the blade in the scaper is in backwards,did you turn it to the sharp side, good luck
Removing Carpet Tack Strips
removing carpet glue residue from concrete
removing carpet adhesive on ceramic tile
removing carpet adhesivee from basement concrete floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!