I just recently purchased a home built in 1958 that has asbestos 9" tiles in the basement. I plan to remodel the basement and was wondering what the options are. I've heard that it is no problem to lay carpet on top of the tile and I have also heard that it should be removed. If I have the tiles professionally removed, does anyone know the approximate cost for this abatement process for approximately 500 sf of tile?
You may want to see how well the pull up from the glue. I had this stuff in every room of a house I'm remodeling but the glue just didn't hold the tiles down. Keep in mind that the asbestos is contained in the tile unless your doing anything that would create dust from it (cutting, scrapping, crushing, etc). I just used a HEPA respirator and a HEPA vacum and the tiles came up in mostly complete pieces. Also, as far as I know there are three crystaline forms of asbestos. One of which is carcinogenic. If you do some research you may be able to find out whether or not it will be a risk to your health. Like I said, I did it myself because I was pretty sure there would be no dust and very little tile breakage. Or you could screw underlayment over the tile and lay padding and carpet.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes