I just recently purchased a home built in 1958 that has asbestos 9" tiles in the basement. I plan to remodel the basement and was wondering what the options are. I've heard that it is no problem to lay carpet on top of the tile and I have also heard that it should be removed. If I have the tiles professionally removed, does anyone know the approximate cost for this abatement process for approximately 500 sf of tile?
You may want to see how well the pull up from the glue. I had this stuff in every room of a house I'm remodeling but the glue just didn't hold the tiles down. Keep in mind that the asbestos is contained in the tile unless your doing anything that would create dust from it (cutting, scrapping, crushing, etc). I just used a HEPA respirator and a HEPA vacum and the tiles came up in mostly complete pieces. Also, as far as I know there are three crystaline forms of asbestos. One of which is carcinogenic. If you do some research you may be able to find out whether or not it will be a risk to your health. Like I said, I did it myself because I was pretty sure there would be no dust and very little tile breakage. Or you could screw underlayment over the tile and lay padding and carpet.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!