I've just stripped out some vinyl flooring and plywood in a 1950 bathroom, to find badly cracked spiral mosaic tile underneath (pretty uneven in places). I've been told that the only really good thing to do (if I want to replace it with similar tile) is tear that out, repour cement, attach hardibacker, and then tile. I guess my question is: how much of the mortar and concrete underneath the tile to I need to dig out, and when do I know I got it in a state such that I can pour concrete (or something else?) over it? I had no intention of getting into such a major project when I started tearing out the vinyl, but now I have decided I'd really like to restore it to the original 1950's look. Also, is there an easy way to remove that vinyl stick-on baseboard stuff? Thanks for any advice.
the rubber base board should just pull off,run a razor knife along the top of the base ,so you dont pull paint or wallpaper with it.keep digging till you find the bottom,the cement that was put down had to have a starting point,find that.you wont need backer board if you have a cement base.make sure the new cement you pour is smooth and level,install your tile on that. good luck.
Oh well. It turned out there were some bad joists underneath the bathroom, which had cause the whole floor to sink (hence ruining the original tile), so I ended up having to get a crew out here to tear out the whole floor, concrete and all, replace the joists, and lay hardibacker. So now new tile can be laid...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!