I'm moving to a place with very ugly mustard yellow and brown tiles on the bathroom wall (they go halfway up the wall). I've been reading posts that discourage painting tiles... are there any other inexpensive ways to improve the appearance, like laminating over the tiles? I can't afford to re-tile but I also won't be able to live with the ungodly color. Thanks!!
you can paint the tiles with a ceramic style paint (you paint the whole thing inc.grout) thats all i can think of.good luck
I just moved into a vintage condo (1917) whose tile had been painted white. It goes halfway up the wall, all the way around. I don't know how they did it, but it looks good. I didn't even notice it was painted at first.
You can ABSOLUTELY install wainscoting and a large crown moulding over the tiles. That is what I am doing. I am lucky b/c there really is no moisture problem...but all you'd have to do is make sure the boards are sealed well. I am having someone do this for me so as not to mess it up. Go to NEWENGLANDCLASSIC.COM....I like the beadboard or flat panel (which I am doing)....They are so nice- if you email them, they can give you an installer in your area! I read a lot on-line that you always have to take out the tiles....but those are usually CONTRACTORS saying that! Pick up any design mag and you can read that it's done all the time! Good luck to ya!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!