I'm moving to a place with very ugly mustard yellow and brown tiles on the bathroom wall (they go halfway up the wall). I've been reading posts that discourage painting tiles... are there any other inexpensive ways to improve the appearance, like laminating over the tiles? I can't afford to re-tile but I also won't be able to live with the ungodly color. Thanks!!
you can paint the tiles with a ceramic style paint (you paint the whole thing inc.grout) thats all i can think of.good luck
I just moved into a vintage condo (1917) whose tile had been painted white. It goes halfway up the wall, all the way around. I don't know how they did it, but it looks good. I didn't even notice it was painted at first.
You can ABSOLUTELY install wainscoting and a large crown moulding over the tiles. That is what I am doing. I am lucky b/c there really is no moisture problem...but all you'd have to do is make sure the boards are sealed well. I am having someone do this for me so as not to mess it up. Go to NEWENGLANDCLASSIC.COM....I like the beadboard or flat panel (which I am doing)....They are so nice- if you email them, they can give you an installer in your area! I read a lot on-line that you always have to take out the tiles....but those are usually CONTRACTORS saying that! Pick up any design mag and you can read that it's done all the time! Good luck to ya!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 11 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home