Measuring for carpet
I had someone come out and measure for me. I had used this company before, but this time he just wrote down how much carpet we would need. He never told me how much it was, just said he'd keep it on file until we were ready to come into the store and order carpet.
I'd like to try and figure out how to do this on my own. Thanks.
add 18" to the 8'6" because the carpet has to end at the bottom of a riser the final amount to do the job is as follows 12 x 8'6" plus 12 x 1'6" total 12 x 10',a 12 by 10 is 13.33 sy yards........
cost will be the installed price of the carpet,plus the additional cost of removal of the old carpet.plus the cost of installing on stairs.....good luck
There actually may be several reasons he did not tell you how much you needed.
When a contractor gives a FREE estimate they usually figure that a certain amount of estimates will end up as jobs and the time spent on the estimate is compensated by the installation. If he doesn't get the job, it really is a FREE estimate. It's getting more and more common for people to get a FREE estimate and then hire someone else to do the job based on those estimates.
By not giving you the estimate of how much you will need he increased the odds that he will be doing the installation.
There is also another consideration. If you have someone else install your stairs or you install them yourself based on the first guy's estimate who's responsible if it comes up short? I have the same problem in the wood flooring business.
It looks like the carpetman has you squared away on figuring out how much you need yourself.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips