Measuring for carpet
I had someone come out and measure for me. I had used this company before, but this time he just wrote down how much carpet we would need. He never told me how much it was, just said he'd keep it on file until we were ready to come into the store and order carpet.
I'd like to try and figure out how to do this on my own. Thanks.
add 18" to the 8'6" because the carpet has to end at the bottom of a riser the final amount to do the job is as follows 12 x 8'6" plus 12 x 1'6" total 12 x 10',a 12 by 10 is 13.33 sy yards........
cost will be the installed price of the carpet,plus the additional cost of removal of the old carpet.plus the cost of installing on stairs.....good luck
There actually may be several reasons he did not tell you how much you needed.
When a contractor gives a FREE estimate they usually figure that a certain amount of estimates will end up as jobs and the time spent on the estimate is compensated by the installation. If he doesn't get the job, it really is a FREE estimate. It's getting more and more common for people to get a FREE estimate and then hire someone else to do the job based on those estimates.
By not giving you the estimate of how much you will need he increased the odds that he will be doing the installation.
There is also another consideration. If you have someone else install your stairs or you install them yourself based on the first guy's estimate who's responsible if it comes up short? I have the same problem in the wood flooring business.
It looks like the carpetman has you squared away on figuring out how much you need yourself.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps