Measuring for carpet
I had someone come out and measure for me. I had used this company before, but this time he just wrote down how much carpet we would need. He never told me how much it was, just said he'd keep it on file until we were ready to come into the store and order carpet.
I'd like to try and figure out how to do this on my own. Thanks.
add 18" to the 8'6" because the carpet has to end at the bottom of a riser the final amount to do the job is as follows 12 x 8'6" plus 12 x 1'6" total 12 x 10',a 12 by 10 is 13.33 sy yards........
cost will be the installed price of the carpet,plus the additional cost of removal of the old carpet.plus the cost of installing on stairs.....good luck
There actually may be several reasons he did not tell you how much you needed.
When a contractor gives a FREE estimate they usually figure that a certain amount of estimates will end up as jobs and the time spent on the estimate is compensated by the installation. If he doesn't get the job, it really is a FREE estimate. It's getting more and more common for people to get a FREE estimate and then hire someone else to do the job based on those estimates.
By not giving you the estimate of how much you will need he increased the odds that he will be doing the installation.
There is also another consideration. If you have someone else install your stairs or you install them yourself based on the first guy's estimate who's responsible if it comes up short? I have the same problem in the wood flooring business.
It looks like the carpetman has you squared away on figuring out how much you need yourself.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!