Measuring for carpet
I had someone come out and measure for me. I had used this company before, but this time he just wrote down how much carpet we would need. He never told me how much it was, just said he'd keep it on file until we were ready to come into the store and order carpet.
I'd like to try and figure out how to do this on my own. Thanks.
add 18" to the 8'6" because the carpet has to end at the bottom of a riser the final amount to do the job is as follows 12 x 8'6" plus 12 x 1'6" total 12 x 10',a 12 by 10 is 13.33 sy yards........
cost will be the installed price of the carpet,plus the additional cost of removal of the old carpet.plus the cost of installing on stairs.....good luck
There actually may be several reasons he did not tell you how much you needed.
When a contractor gives a FREE estimate they usually figure that a certain amount of estimates will end up as jobs and the time spent on the estimate is compensated by the installation. If he doesn't get the job, it really is a FREE estimate. It's getting more and more common for people to get a FREE estimate and then hire someone else to do the job based on those estimates.
By not giving you the estimate of how much you will need he increased the odds that he will be doing the installation.
There is also another consideration. If you have someone else install your stairs or you install them yourself based on the first guy's estimate who's responsible if it comes up short? I have the same problem in the wood flooring business.
It looks like the carpetman has you squared away on figuring out how much you need yourself.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs