I have a pole barn in mid-michigan (41 feet long X 24 feet wide) that is long overdue for a re-roof. The current asphalt shingles are long worn out, and water has been leaking thru for a while. The sheathing is not totally shot, but some peices would definately need to be replaced. The thought of this tear-off etc. pains me. My question is this, is it acceptable to roofover it with steel roofing and avoid doing much tear off? I was thinking it would be nice to run perlins right over the roof as is, and then put the steel on the perlins as normal. I have professional experience, so the installation is not my concern, just any problems that might come from leaving the old sub-roof and shingles etc. Would love advice, thanks
I re-roofed my house with a steel roof over the existing ashpalt on purlins. My old roof was still in fair condition. What I would suggest is that you lay 30# felt paper over the existing roof before the purlins. You can get some condensation on the bottom side of the metal and this 30# paper would make it a little safer.
Roof patch:the best?
Vent installation on steel roof
Should I add a second layer of roof over my 2 year o...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight