I have a pole barn in mid-michigan (41 feet long X 24 feet wide) that is long overdue for a re-roof. The current asphalt shingles are long worn out, and water has been leaking thru for a while. The sheathing is not totally shot, but some peices would definately need to be replaced. The thought of this tear-off etc. pains me. My question is this, is it acceptable to roofover it with steel roofing and avoid doing much tear off? I was thinking it would be nice to run perlins right over the roof as is, and then put the steel on the perlins as normal. I have professional experience, so the installation is not my concern, just any problems that might come from leaving the old sub-roof and shingles etc. Would love advice, thanks
I re-roofed my house with a steel roof over the existing ashpalt on purlins. My old roof was still in fair condition. What I would suggest is that you lay 30# felt paper over the existing roof before the purlins. You can get some condensation on the bottom side of the metal and this 30# paper would make it a little safer.
Roof patch:the best?
Vent installation on steel roof
Should I add a second layer of roof over my 2 year o...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!