I have a very strange thing going on with the grout in my tiled wall around the bathtub. I had some water damage due to some water dripping into some cracked caulking and grout. To fix it, I ended up removing a section of tiles and drywall. I put a new piece of drywall in place (and yes, I used the green waterproof stuff) and retiled. I made sure I let it dry out VERY well before I put the new drywall up. I made sure I waited sufficient time after tiling before I grouted and waited much longer than I needed to before I used the shower. It looked fine until a couple days later I noticed a few very small voids. Again, I let it dry out very well (had a fan on it for a few days), and touched up the spots that had the voids. Again, I waited longer than I really needed to before I used the shower. Again, it looked fine..for a while. However, after a couple days I noticed some areas where the grout was actually sticking out (was pulling away from the wall). I also noticed that it was soft and pliable. I removed these areas, AGAIN let it dry very well, re-grouted, and let it dry very well again before I used the shower. AGAIN it looked good for a while….then the areas did it again (started pulling away from the wall!!). At this point I did it one more time, this time with a different brand of grout. And it’s doing it again!
So what is going on? Could I have somehow trapped moisture behind there? I am tempted to remove ALL the tile from the one wall (it is the plumbing wall) and replacing it with some other solid 1 piece material! It won’t match the other walls but at least I will have only one seam all the way around the material and won’t have this strange grout phenomenon!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!