I have a very strange thing going on with the grout in my tiled wall around the bathtub. I had some water damage due to some water dripping into some cracked caulking and grout. To fix it, I ended up removing a section of tiles and drywall. I put a new piece of drywall in place (and yes, I used the green waterproof stuff) and retiled. I made sure I let it dry out VERY well before I put the new drywall up. I made sure I waited sufficient time after tiling before I grouted and waited much longer than I needed to before I used the shower. It looked fine until a couple days later I noticed a few very small voids. Again, I let it dry out very well (had a fan on it for a few days), and touched up the spots that had the voids. Again, I waited longer than I really needed to before I used the shower. Again, it looked fine..for a while. However, after a couple days I noticed some areas where the grout was actually sticking out (was pulling away from the wall). I also noticed that it was soft and pliable. I removed these areas, AGAIN let it dry very well, re-grouted, and let it dry very well again before I used the shower. AGAIN it looked good for a while….then the areas did it again (started pulling away from the wall!!). At this point I did it one more time, this time with a different brand of grout. And it’s doing it again!
So what is going on? Could I have somehow trapped moisture behind there? I am tempted to remove ALL the tile from the one wall (it is the plumbing wall) and replacing it with some other solid 1 piece material! It won’t match the other walls but at least I will have only one seam all the way around the material and won’t have this strange grout phenomenon!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes