building a fence
Well, I think the answer depends. I think a chain link fence is 'harder' to install, maybe because you need more specialized tools. A Stockade Fence is easier but probably a little more back breaking. (You didn't say which type of fence you want to build.)
I guess you should keep in mind a few things. Make sure your measurements are consistant all across the job, especially when it comes to the posts. Either do them on-center or edge-to-edge. It's best to do it on-center. So, before you pour your Quick-crete, use temporary shoring on the posts and see how your 8' stockade sections line up. THAT way, if you make any mistakes, you can easily correct them. Dig a corner and the 'next posts hole' and see how you're doing. If you're OK, then do all your digging.
Make sure you dig below frost line. Dig a little deeper and put about 3-4" of gravel in at the base. Again, make sure your posts are 'square' by using a level and temporary shoring. If the posts aren't square, you'll obviously have problems.
I've seen stockade fences installed w/the stockade facing the OUTSIDE as well as the inside. It's your call but for 'looks', the 'good side' is to face OUTWARDS. Oh, if you're planning a gate, draw that up to see where you want it. I think one of the best things you can do is drive around and look at other fence installations. If your property 'slopes' up or down, give thought as to how you're gonna 'stagger' the height of the sections. If possible, don't stagger every section. It looks crappy. Try to keep at least 2 or even 3 sections 'level' w/each other before you 'drop down' with additional sections.
If you want me to see if there are instructions on the WEB, let me know. Ask the folks at the Store if there are instructions too. I'd read them first before I'd buy (if I were you.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs