building a fence
Well, I think the answer depends. I think a chain link fence is 'harder' to install, maybe because you need more specialized tools. A Stockade Fence is easier but probably a little more back breaking. (You didn't say which type of fence you want to build.)
I guess you should keep in mind a few things. Make sure your measurements are consistant all across the job, especially when it comes to the posts. Either do them on-center or edge-to-edge. It's best to do it on-center. So, before you pour your Quick-crete, use temporary shoring on the posts and see how your 8' stockade sections line up. THAT way, if you make any mistakes, you can easily correct them. Dig a corner and the 'next posts hole' and see how you're doing. If you're OK, then do all your digging.
Make sure you dig below frost line. Dig a little deeper and put about 3-4" of gravel in at the base. Again, make sure your posts are 'square' by using a level and temporary shoring. If the posts aren't square, you'll obviously have problems.
I've seen stockade fences installed w/the stockade facing the OUTSIDE as well as the inside. It's your call but for 'looks', the 'good side' is to face OUTWARDS. Oh, if you're planning a gate, draw that up to see where you want it. I think one of the best things you can do is drive around and look at other fence installations. If your property 'slopes' up or down, give thought as to how you're gonna 'stagger' the height of the sections. If possible, don't stagger every section. It looks crappy. Try to keep at least 2 or even 3 sections 'level' w/each other before you 'drop down' with additional sections.
If you want me to see if there are instructions on the WEB, let me know. Ask the folks at the Store if there are instructions too. I'd read them first before I'd buy (if I were you.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!