building a fence
Well, I think the answer depends. I think a chain link fence is 'harder' to install, maybe because you need more specialized tools. A Stockade Fence is easier but probably a little more back breaking. (You didn't say which type of fence you want to build.)
I guess you should keep in mind a few things. Make sure your measurements are consistant all across the job, especially when it comes to the posts. Either do them on-center or edge-to-edge. It's best to do it on-center. So, before you pour your Quick-crete, use temporary shoring on the posts and see how your 8' stockade sections line up. THAT way, if you make any mistakes, you can easily correct them. Dig a corner and the 'next posts hole' and see how you're doing. If you're OK, then do all your digging.
Make sure you dig below frost line. Dig a little deeper and put about 3-4" of gravel in at the base. Again, make sure your posts are 'square' by using a level and temporary shoring. If the posts aren't square, you'll obviously have problems.
I've seen stockade fences installed w/the stockade facing the OUTSIDE as well as the inside. It's your call but for 'looks', the 'good side' is to face OUTWARDS. Oh, if you're planning a gate, draw that up to see where you want it. I think one of the best things you can do is drive around and look at other fence installations. If your property 'slopes' up or down, give thought as to how you're gonna 'stagger' the height of the sections. If possible, don't stagger every section. It looks crappy. Try to keep at least 2 or even 3 sections 'level' w/each other before you 'drop down' with additional sections.
If you want me to see if there are instructions on the WEB, let me know. Ask the folks at the Store if there are instructions too. I'd read them first before I'd buy (if I were you.)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God Bless America!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps