We have the ugliest tiles on the walls behind the sink, and stove (quite a large surface). Is there any way to paint these rather then remove them all?
I have the same problem with tiles that need to be painted above my kitchen sink. Today I was on the Internet looking for paint for tiles and found a website "Liquitex Acrylic Glossies." There are probably other sites, too. I went to Home Depot and they had nothing.
I have been in the resurfacing business for seven years. There are many products on the market for resurfacing tubs and tile, most of which do not work. Epoxy products tend to yellow with age and high solids urethane materials made for these applications are not readily available to do-it-yourselfers. In addition, the process for preparation and application of these materials is very specialized and the chemicals can be extremely dangerous to inexperienced users. The challange of acheiving a glossy, durable surface on tile is not an easy one. The etching compounds typically used are hydrofluoric acids. They can be very dangerous to skin and lungs if not used properly. The primers and finish coats contain compounds which can cause serious and perminant brain and nerve damage through exposure to skin an/or the respiratory system. This is why these products are generally sold to commercial contractors only. In addition to all of the above, the equipment used to apply these coatings is very expensive and requires an experienced individual to use them. My HVLP sprayer costs $1,300. My advice to you would be to consider one of two alternatives. Hire a qualified resurfacer or remove the tile and redo it yourself.
Advice for Ugly Tiles?
Asbestos In Floor Tiles
Removing splattered paint from grout inbetween kitch...
Old tiles need repair/ covering over with ceramic
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates