We have the ugliest tiles on the walls behind the sink, and stove (quite a large surface). Is there any way to paint these rather then remove them all?
I have the same problem with tiles that need to be painted above my kitchen sink. Today I was on the Internet looking for paint for tiles and found a website "Liquitex Acrylic Glossies." There are probably other sites, too. I went to Home Depot and they had nothing.
I have been in the resurfacing business for seven years. There are many products on the market for resurfacing tubs and tile, most of which do not work. Epoxy products tend to yellow with age and high solids urethane materials made for these applications are not readily available to do-it-yourselfers. In addition, the process for preparation and application of these materials is very specialized and the chemicals can be extremely dangerous to inexperienced users. The challange of acheiving a glossy, durable surface on tile is not an easy one. The etching compounds typically used are hydrofluoric acids. They can be very dangerous to skin and lungs if not used properly. The primers and finish coats contain compounds which can cause serious and perminant brain and nerve damage through exposure to skin an/or the respiratory system. This is why these products are generally sold to commercial contractors only. In addition to all of the above, the equipment used to apply these coatings is very expensive and requires an experienced individual to use them. My HVLP sprayer costs $1,300. My advice to you would be to consider one of two alternatives. Hire a qualified resurfacer or remove the tile and redo it yourself.
Advice for Ugly Tiles?
Asbestos In Floor Tiles
Removing splattered paint from grout inbetween kitch...
Old tiles need repair/ covering over with ceramic
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps