We have the ugliest tiles on the walls behind the sink, and stove (quite a large surface). Is there any way to paint these rather then remove them all?
I have the same problem with tiles that need to be painted above my kitchen sink. Today I was on the Internet looking for paint for tiles and found a website "Liquitex Acrylic Glossies." There are probably other sites, too. I went to Home Depot and they had nothing.
I have been in the resurfacing business for seven years. There are many products on the market for resurfacing tubs and tile, most of which do not work. Epoxy products tend to yellow with age and high solids urethane materials made for these applications are not readily available to do-it-yourselfers. In addition, the process for preparation and application of these materials is very specialized and the chemicals can be extremely dangerous to inexperienced users. The challange of acheiving a glossy, durable surface on tile is not an easy one. The etching compounds typically used are hydrofluoric acids. They can be very dangerous to skin and lungs if not used properly. The primers and finish coats contain compounds which can cause serious and perminant brain and nerve damage through exposure to skin an/or the respiratory system. This is why these products are generally sold to commercial contractors only. In addition to all of the above, the equipment used to apply these coatings is very expensive and requires an experienced individual to use them. My HVLP sprayer costs $1,300. My advice to you would be to consider one of two alternatives. Hire a qualified resurfacer or remove the tile and redo it yourself.
Advice for Ugly Tiles?
Asbestos In Floor Tiles
Removing splattered paint from grout inbetween kitch...
Old tiles need repair/ covering over with ceramic
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects