Our house had a 1-1/4" drop in the middle of it--which sounds like a lot less than yours (our house is only 22 years old--but even this one has sagged more than many its age).
Our problem was less to do with the flooring than the foundation. (I should state at this time that I'm NOT a structural engineer--and that I did hire someone to jack up the foundation in a couple spots). And having a "few too many" would help--but only for a while!
In my home (which I've had over 8 yrs), it was bonehead building....shortcuts taken by the builders. And I guess they bought off the city inspectors to "look the other way" as the problems are as obvious as the nose on your face. Whatever; I'm sure this happens all the time--and a newer home is no guarantee that there won't be something wrong.
In your case, there is probably a good reason for the settling. For example (since it's 80 yrs old), is there perhaps one-too-many layers of roofing up on top. Or, one of a myriad other things...moisture problems, settling pier(s), or ????
They ended up jacking up the house almost an inch in the middle. It didn't take care of all the sagging floors--but it did help. I guess I could come along later and do some floor leveling---but I'm thinking about just calling it 'character' at this point.
Anyway I guess, depending on what you find out, the nice wide planking may be fine depending on what's down below it.
Please keep us posted. I am most interested in this topic--as I'm sure are lots of others as well.
Best of luck,
-k2 in Colorado
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda