We are wanting to tile our bathroom floors. There is currently a vinyl floor on top of a concrete floor base. Can we tile over the vinyl or do we have to tear it out first? And if we must do this, what is the best way to get it up?
Well first of all youdo not need to pull up the existing vinyl floor if it is a full spread glue down. (you can check this by cutting out a square of the vinyl floor) However you do have to prepare the surface of the vinyl by cleaning all the residue off of it, and then roughing it up with a heavy scratchpad, or a drywall score. Then you can lay your tile.
Hope I have helped.
Hope I have helped.
scrape up the existing vinyl if it is not older than 20 years old, and level the floor. I know this is more work, but I believe most Ceramic installers will tell you to do the same. I am looking forward to the feedback on this.
Thank you for your replys. We have a lot to think about. I will gladly send out a note to let you know how it goes. I would like to also hear from more people before we attemt this project. Has anyone ever tiled over a vinyl flooring and hasn't regreted it? Our home is less than 4 years old. Again many thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps