We are wanting to tile our bathroom floors. There is currently a vinyl floor on top of a concrete floor base. Can we tile over the vinyl or do we have to tear it out first? And if we must do this, what is the best way to get it up?
Well first of all youdo not need to pull up the existing vinyl floor if it is a full spread glue down. (you can check this by cutting out a square of the vinyl floor) However you do have to prepare the surface of the vinyl by cleaning all the residue off of it, and then roughing it up with a heavy scratchpad, or a drywall score. Then you can lay your tile.
Hope I have helped.
Hope I have helped.
scrape up the existing vinyl if it is not older than 20 years old, and level the floor. I know this is more work, but I believe most Ceramic installers will tell you to do the same. I am looking forward to the feedback on this.
Thank you for your replys. We have a lot to think about. I will gladly send out a note to let you know how it goes. I would like to also hear from more people before we attemt this project. Has anyone ever tiled over a vinyl flooring and hasn't regreted it? Our home is less than 4 years old. Again many thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs