My husband and I recently purchased his grandfather's house. We want to refinish the random width pine floor in the master bedroom. It has at least two coats of paint, some dings and so forth, and is a bit warped, but thats OK. How do we remove the paint - strip, sand, or scrape (can we use stripper indoors?). Then, how to refinish - we assume we'll rent a sander at some point but don't know how we'll get around the dings and such. Also, how to finish. I would like a honey pine finish. Thanks!
I'm in the process of stripping my floors. There is a layer of thick adhesive, and at least two layers of paint. I'm using the Super Klean Strip chemical stripper and it's been working very well. I've been opening the windows and putting on the ceiling fan and the fumes aren't bad at all. It's a messy job, but it's so worth it! The floors already look great & I haven't had to sand at all so far. I also wouldn't recommend straight sanding if there is any chance the paint you're dealing with is lead. Good Luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes