soundproofing apartment floor
As you build up the finished floor higher, you cahnge the dismount onto the top step of the stairs, possibly to something unsafe or against codes. You might end up needing to rebuild the stairs too then.
Spray urethene foam from under will help the sound transmissions.
Sound travels more through solids so any separations will help prevent transfer. We use strapping under the joists (1x4's @16" OC perpendicular to joists) to isolate the drywall ceiling from the solids of the joists.
Mass will absorb vibrations so a double thickness of drywall will not only give better fire protection, but will prevent some sound transmission.
Homasote makes a good isolation/absorbtion ply for between flooring materials. Carpet will cushion footfalls.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers