soundproofing apartment floor
As you build up the finished floor higher, you cahnge the dismount onto the top step of the stairs, possibly to something unsafe or against codes. You might end up needing to rebuild the stairs too then.
Spray urethene foam from under will help the sound transmissions.
Sound travels more through solids so any separations will help prevent transfer. We use strapping under the joists (1x4's @16" OC perpendicular to joists) to isolate the drywall ceiling from the solids of the joists.
Mass will absorb vibrations so a double thickness of drywall will not only give better fire protection, but will prevent some sound transmission.
Homasote makes a good isolation/absorbtion ply for between flooring materials. Carpet will cushion footfalls.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight