soundproofing apartment floor
As you build up the finished floor higher, you cahnge the dismount onto the top step of the stairs, possibly to something unsafe or against codes. You might end up needing to rebuild the stairs too then.
Spray urethene foam from under will help the sound transmissions.
Sound travels more through solids so any separations will help prevent transfer. We use strapping under the joists (1x4's @16" OC perpendicular to joists) to isolate the drywall ceiling from the solids of the joists.
Mass will absorb vibrations so a double thickness of drywall will not only give better fire protection, but will prevent some sound transmission.
Homasote makes a good isolation/absorbtion ply for between flooring materials. Carpet will cushion footfalls.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING