plank flooring install???
New Member posted January 05, 2004 06:53 PM
Have a room over the open carport. T/g plywood floors unfinished.
The first thing to consider is insulating the ceiling of the carport if it isn't already. This will stabalize the temperature of the underside of the flooring.
Decided to drywall the walls and want to put 3/4"x11" dried fir and spruce planks down for flooring.
That sounds like a nice floor.
I want to varathane the flooring.
Varathane is a brand name of finish and my experience is that it doesn't bring out as much color as Minwax or Pro Finisher urethanes.
It will be a living accomodation with wood stove heating.
You will really need to acclimate this flooring before installing it and you will probably still get a little shrinkage because of the nature of wide fir and spruce flooring.
Not sure on how to put down the flooring so that it will not squeek or warp. Any suggestions
Sure! Locate your joists with chaulk lines. You should face screw and plug into every joist. I make a template so I can mark where the screws go so that I have a consistant pattern which makes for a solid floor that looks good too. With an 11"plank you should have a recessed screw which you cover with a plug at 2 1/2", 5 1/2", and
8 1/2" centers. Use a piece of cardboard and put holes at these points on each of the joist lines. Drill the pilot holes and put the screws in .
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda