plank flooring install???
New Member posted January 05, 2004 06:53 PM
Have a room over the open carport. T/g plywood floors unfinished.
The first thing to consider is insulating the ceiling of the carport if it isn't already. This will stabalize the temperature of the underside of the flooring.
Decided to drywall the walls and want to put 3/4"x11" dried fir and spruce planks down for flooring.
That sounds like a nice floor.
I want to varathane the flooring.
Varathane is a brand name of finish and my experience is that it doesn't bring out as much color as Minwax or Pro Finisher urethanes.
It will be a living accomodation with wood stove heating.
You will really need to acclimate this flooring before installing it and you will probably still get a little shrinkage because of the nature of wide fir and spruce flooring.
Not sure on how to put down the flooring so that it will not squeek or warp. Any suggestions
Sure! Locate your joists with chaulk lines. You should face screw and plug into every joist. I make a template so I can mark where the screws go so that I have a consistant pattern which makes for a solid floor that looks good too. With an 11"plank you should have a recessed screw which you cover with a plug at 2 1/2", 5 1/2", and
8 1/2" centers. Use a piece of cardboard and put holes at these points on each of the joist lines. Drill the pilot holes and put the screws in .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes