plank flooring install???
New Member posted January 05, 2004 06:53 PM
Have a room over the open carport. T/g plywood floors unfinished.
The first thing to consider is insulating the ceiling of the carport if it isn't already. This will stabalize the temperature of the underside of the flooring.
Decided to drywall the walls and want to put 3/4"x11" dried fir and spruce planks down for flooring.
That sounds like a nice floor.
I want to varathane the flooring.
Varathane is a brand name of finish and my experience is that it doesn't bring out as much color as Minwax or Pro Finisher urethanes.
It will be a living accomodation with wood stove heating.
You will really need to acclimate this flooring before installing it and you will probably still get a little shrinkage because of the nature of wide fir and spruce flooring.
Not sure on how to put down the flooring so that it will not squeek or warp. Any suggestions
Sure! Locate your joists with chaulk lines. You should face screw and plug into every joist. I make a template so I can mark where the screws go so that I have a consistant pattern which makes for a solid floor that looks good too. With an 11"plank you should have a recessed screw which you cover with a plug at 2 1/2", 5 1/2", and
8 1/2" centers. Use a piece of cardboard and put holes at these points on each of the joist lines. Drill the pilot holes and put the screws in .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size