plank flooring install???
New Member posted January 05, 2004 06:53 PM
Have a room over the open carport. T/g plywood floors unfinished.
The first thing to consider is insulating the ceiling of the carport if it isn't already. This will stabalize the temperature of the underside of the flooring.
Decided to drywall the walls and want to put 3/4"x11" dried fir and spruce planks down for flooring.
That sounds like a nice floor.
I want to varathane the flooring.
Varathane is a brand name of finish and my experience is that it doesn't bring out as much color as Minwax or Pro Finisher urethanes.
It will be a living accomodation with wood stove heating.
You will really need to acclimate this flooring before installing it and you will probably still get a little shrinkage because of the nature of wide fir and spruce flooring.
Not sure on how to put down the flooring so that it will not squeek or warp. Any suggestions
Sure! Locate your joists with chaulk lines. You should face screw and plug into every joist. I make a template so I can mark where the screws go so that I have a consistant pattern which makes for a solid floor that looks good too. With an 11"plank you should have a recessed screw which you cover with a plug at 2 1/2", 5 1/2", and
8 1/2" centers. Use a piece of cardboard and put holes at these points on each of the joist lines. Drill the pilot holes and put the screws in .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY