plank flooring install???
New Member posted January 05, 2004 06:53 PM
Have a room over the open carport. T/g plywood floors unfinished.
The first thing to consider is insulating the ceiling of the carport if it isn't already. This will stabalize the temperature of the underside of the flooring.
Decided to drywall the walls and want to put 3/4"x11" dried fir and spruce planks down for flooring.
That sounds like a nice floor.
I want to varathane the flooring.
Varathane is a brand name of finish and my experience is that it doesn't bring out as much color as Minwax or Pro Finisher urethanes.
It will be a living accomodation with wood stove heating.
You will really need to acclimate this flooring before installing it and you will probably still get a little shrinkage because of the nature of wide fir and spruce flooring.
Not sure on how to put down the flooring so that it will not squeek or warp. Any suggestions
Sure! Locate your joists with chaulk lines. You should face screw and plug into every joist. I make a template so I can mark where the screws go so that I have a consistant pattern which makes for a solid floor that looks good too. With an 11"plank you should have a recessed screw which you cover with a plug at 2 1/2", 5 1/2", and
8 1/2" centers. Use a piece of cardboard and put holes at these points on each of the joist lines. Drill the pilot holes and put the screws in .
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!