I am getting a Bow and bay windows installed and I have the option of installing shingles or aluminum Roof. I looked at both options and Aluminum does not look too bad.
It seems aluminum is maintenance free but the contactor is recommending shingles for heat retention. Being cynical, I wonder if it is easier on him or cheaper for him. What about noise form rain, look, any other considerations? Please advise.
A competent installer will be able to do a good job with either. Asphalt shingles will last 10-20 years, depending on your location, degree of venting, etc. Aluminum shingles will last as long as the house. Asphalt shingles are easier to put on, while aluminum shingles require proper flashing at all roof boundaries. Some people love the look of architectural shingles, others love the clean lines of the aluminum shingles. At the end, it's the competence of your installer which will determine if you will have a good result. My usual recommendation is find the best installer you can afford, and then let them put on their material of choice. If that installer doesn't know much about aluminum then aluminum is not really an option, is it? Mind you, my company sells and installs aluminum shingles, but we're not in your area, and can't help you directly. So like I said, go with the best installer you can find and afford.
Looking for Asphalt Scalloped roof shingles
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
insulate from the roof?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight