I am getting a Bow and bay windows installed and I have the option of installing shingles or aluminum Roof. I looked at both options and Aluminum does not look too bad.
It seems aluminum is maintenance free but the contactor is recommending shingles for heat retention. Being cynical, I wonder if it is easier on him or cheaper for him. What about noise form rain, look, any other considerations? Please advise.
A competent installer will be able to do a good job with either. Asphalt shingles will last 10-20 years, depending on your location, degree of venting, etc. Aluminum shingles will last as long as the house. Asphalt shingles are easier to put on, while aluminum shingles require proper flashing at all roof boundaries. Some people love the look of architectural shingles, others love the clean lines of the aluminum shingles. At the end, it's the competence of your installer which will determine if you will have a good result. My usual recommendation is find the best installer you can afford, and then let them put on their material of choice. If that installer doesn't know much about aluminum then aluminum is not really an option, is it? Mind you, my company sells and installs aluminum shingles, but we're not in your area, and can't help you directly. So like I said, go with the best installer you can find and afford.
Looking for Asphalt Scalloped roof shingles
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
insulate from the roof?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps