I am getting a Bow and bay windows installed and I have the option of installing shingles or aluminum Roof. I looked at both options and Aluminum does not look too bad.
It seems aluminum is maintenance free but the contactor is recommending shingles for heat retention. Being cynical, I wonder if it is easier on him or cheaper for him. What about noise form rain, look, any other considerations? Please advise.
A competent installer will be able to do a good job with either. Asphalt shingles will last 10-20 years, depending on your location, degree of venting, etc. Aluminum shingles will last as long as the house. Asphalt shingles are easier to put on, while aluminum shingles require proper flashing at all roof boundaries. Some people love the look of architectural shingles, others love the clean lines of the aluminum shingles. At the end, it's the competence of your installer which will determine if you will have a good result. My usual recommendation is find the best installer you can afford, and then let them put on their material of choice. If that installer doesn't know much about aluminum then aluminum is not really an option, is it? Mind you, my company sells and installs aluminum shingles, but we're not in your area, and can't help you directly. So like I said, go with the best installer you can find and afford.
Looking for Asphalt Scalloped roof shingles
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
insulate from the roof?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!