I am getting a Bow and bay windows installed and I have the option of installing shingles or aluminum Roof. I looked at both options and Aluminum does not look too bad.
It seems aluminum is maintenance free but the contactor is recommending shingles for heat retention. Being cynical, I wonder if it is easier on him or cheaper for him. What about noise form rain, look, any other considerations? Please advise.
A competent installer will be able to do a good job with either. Asphalt shingles will last 10-20 years, depending on your location, degree of venting, etc. Aluminum shingles will last as long as the house. Asphalt shingles are easier to put on, while aluminum shingles require proper flashing at all roof boundaries. Some people love the look of architectural shingles, others love the clean lines of the aluminum shingles. At the end, it's the competence of your installer which will determine if you will have a good result. My usual recommendation is find the best installer you can afford, and then let them put on their material of choice. If that installer doesn't know much about aluminum then aluminum is not really an option, is it? Mind you, my company sells and installs aluminum shingles, but we're not in your area, and can't help you directly. So like I said, go with the best installer you can find and afford.
Looking for Asphalt Scalloped roof shingles
I need help with attic ventilation, sorry for length...
insulate from the roof?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!