Stuck nails in hardwood
I have a 150 year old schoolhouse with maple floors. The nails are impossible to countersink and I want to refinish the floor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Only 23 degrees below zero C today!
Dang! You sure the nails aren't just frozen? I haven't seen 23 degrees below zero since I left upstate New York.
I have two suggestions. Very often when I get really old floors with cut nails that refuse to move I use a 1/4" by 18 inch long nail set and a sledge hammer to convince them.
I guessing you have already tried that so another option you might try is drilling the nails out with an electric drill. It will be hard to keep the bit on ****** so what I would do is drill thru a 2 foot 2x4 in the center. Put the drill thru the 2x4 and align it with the nail. Lower the 2x4 to the floor and stand on both sides of the two by and drill away. I'm guessing that you are dealing with cut nails so be patient as it might be some tough drilling.
BTW this is an old schoolhouse with a maple floor too.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes