Stuck nails in hardwood
I have a 150 year old schoolhouse with maple floors. The nails are impossible to countersink and I want to refinish the floor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Only 23 degrees below zero C today!
Dang! You sure the nails aren't just frozen? I haven't seen 23 degrees below zero since I left upstate New York.
I have two suggestions. Very often when I get really old floors with cut nails that refuse to move I use a 1/4" by 18 inch long nail set and a sledge hammer to convince them.
I guessing you have already tried that so another option you might try is drilling the nails out with an electric drill. It will be hard to keep the bit on ****** so what I would do is drill thru a 2 foot 2x4 in the center. Put the drill thru the 2x4 and align it with the nail. Lower the 2x4 to the floor and stand on both sides of the two by and drill away. I'm guessing that you are dealing with cut nails so be patient as it might be some tough drilling.
BTW this is an old schoolhouse with a maple floor too.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps