Stuck nails in hardwood
I have a 150 year old schoolhouse with maple floors. The nails are impossible to countersink and I want to refinish the floor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Only 23 degrees below zero C today!
Dang! You sure the nails aren't just frozen? I haven't seen 23 degrees below zero since I left upstate New York.
I have two suggestions. Very often when I get really old floors with cut nails that refuse to move I use a 1/4" by 18 inch long nail set and a sledge hammer to convince them.
I guessing you have already tried that so another option you might try is drilling the nails out with an electric drill. It will be hard to keep the bit on ****** so what I would do is drill thru a 2 foot 2x4 in the center. Put the drill thru the 2x4 and align it with the nail. Lower the 2x4 to the floor and stand on both sides of the two by and drill away. I'm guessing that you are dealing with cut nails so be patient as it might be some tough drilling.
BTW this is an old schoolhouse with a maple floor too.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!