Stuck nails in hardwood
I have a 150 year old schoolhouse with maple floors. The nails are impossible to countersink and I want to refinish the floor. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Only 23 degrees below zero C today!
Dang! You sure the nails aren't just frozen? I haven't seen 23 degrees below zero since I left upstate New York.
I have two suggestions. Very often when I get really old floors with cut nails that refuse to move I use a 1/4" by 18 inch long nail set and a sledge hammer to convince them.
I guessing you have already tried that so another option you might try is drilling the nails out with an electric drill. It will be hard to keep the bit on ****** so what I would do is drill thru a 2 foot 2x4 in the center. Put the drill thru the 2x4 and align it with the nail. Lower the 2x4 to the floor and stand on both sides of the two by and drill away. I'm guessing that you are dealing with cut nails so be patient as it might be some tough drilling.
BTW this is an old schoolhouse with a maple floor too.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees