removing plastic tiles
I thought I had an experience that I would never have occasion to pass to another unfortunate victim of plastic tile.
We had all colors, in many rooms. It was stuck on with some sort of nasty, orange-brown adhesive.
Popping the tiles off takes no time at all. But getting that adhesive off the plaster takes forever. You'll need a vicious and viscous remover. I can't remember what we used. You know why? It was so nasty I can't remember much of anything since we used it.
And you'll need a very rugged scraper. Expect to bleed some from the knuckles.
Expect some wall repair when you are finished. We smoothed out the biggest gouges and wallpapered over it. If you are tiling over it, obviously you can get away with less removing and no patching.
In our basement, we popped off the tile and put gallons and gallons of drywall mud over the adhesive rather than remove it. So we have a very rough wall, but hey, it is a basement.
Maybe you'll be lucky and the adhesive will be different, and therefore easier.
Good luck. I need to be picking out a casket now for the early grave that the remover is sending me to.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs