I'm installing a ceramic tile floor in my second floor bathroom. The existing floor is 40 year old sheet vinyl, smooth and solid and fairly level. My question is how high will my floor rise if I first install thinset over the vinyl, then 1/4" Wonderboard, then thinset, then 5/16" floor tile? Does each layer of thinset add 1/4" of height? I'd like to install 1/2" backerboard because of its stiffness, but I don't want the floor to get too high.
By the way, I'm going to use cement backerboard for a wall that will only be partially tiled. Am I right to assume I can prime and paint this backerboard too?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!