My contractor said he will use wonderboard in the shower area and green wall for the rest of the bathroom walls.
I thought wonderboard would be used throughout the bathrom but her said no.
I'd just like the opinion of a few other people on this forum. We will have the whole shower area tiled up to the ceiling and rest of the walls will have tile approx 4 ft. high adn the rest painted.
Is greenboard able to support tile w/ no problems??
as always thanks in advance,
In my opinion, I would not use greenboard anywhere there is going to be tile. Something like Hardibacker or CBU would be much better for tile. I'm not saying it won't work with the greenboard, it's just something I would not personally do.
I did a similar remodel a few years ago. The tub surround that we were using did not go all the way to the ceiling. I addressed the problem by using greenboard behind the surround and capping it with a product called Durock that provided a base for two courses of ceramic tile above the surround. I made sure the joint between the Durock and the greenboard was well below the top of the surround (12" or so.) The project is almost eight years old and we have had no problems.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs