My contractor said he will use wonderboard in the shower area and green wall for the rest of the bathroom walls.
I thought wonderboard would be used throughout the bathrom but her said no.
I'd just like the opinion of a few other people on this forum. We will have the whole shower area tiled up to the ceiling and rest of the walls will have tile approx 4 ft. high adn the rest painted.
Is greenboard able to support tile w/ no problems??
as always thanks in advance,
In my opinion, I would not use greenboard anywhere there is going to be tile. Something like Hardibacker or CBU would be much better for tile. I'm not saying it won't work with the greenboard, it's just something I would not personally do.
I did a similar remodel a few years ago. The tub surround that we were using did not go all the way to the ceiling. I addressed the problem by using greenboard behind the surround and capping it with a product called Durock that provided a base for two courses of ceramic tile above the surround. I made sure the joint between the Durock and the greenboard was well below the top of the surround (12" or so.) The project is almost eight years old and we have had no problems.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight