got 7/8 inch subfloor, want to put down
wonderboard....will the thin set mortar
warp or bubble the subfloor which is particle board? do i need to put down plywood first? i am right now getting ready to do the job!!!!
thank you so much.
my husband says thanks too:)
Yes, the mortar will ruin the particle board. I absolutely will not install ceramic over a floor with particle board in the subfloor. Some people will cap it with plywood first, then install the backerboard, but particle board is way too unstable for my taste. If you want to make sure the floor will be there as long as the house, remove the particle board. Replace it with plywood and proceed as usual. It's a little more work, no more money (since u'r considering installing plywood anyway), and the peace of mind is well worth the extra effort.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight