I have 1/2" particleboard over 1/2" plywood. Is it OK to install 3/4 oak hardwood over the particleboard? I was told by one installer he wouldn't do it because the nail gun would just blow holes in the particleboard. I was thinking that if the nails were 1/2" longer and he went into the plywood, it would hold. He said no. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks. The particleboard is under my partition walls, so it would be a big deal to remove it first.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would never recommend trying to install 3/4 over particle board. You're asking for problems, and throwing your money away. The only option, as far as i'm concerned, is to remove the particle board and add at least a 1/4" plywood to the existing 1/2" that is there. You're only other option is to install a floating floor, either laminate or real wood. Take some time and look at floating floors and decide if you really want the 3/4"...if you do, spend the extra time and do it right.
Thank you for your advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but I'm going to take your advice. Also, I didn't realize there were floating hardwood floors. Do you know where I can find more information on this? Thank you again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!