I have 1/2" particleboard over 1/2" plywood. Is it OK to install 3/4 oak hardwood over the particleboard? I was told by one installer he wouldn't do it because the nail gun would just blow holes in the particleboard. I was thinking that if the nails were 1/2" longer and he went into the plywood, it would hold. He said no. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks. The particleboard is under my partition walls, so it would be a big deal to remove it first.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would never recommend trying to install 3/4 over particle board. You're asking for problems, and throwing your money away. The only option, as far as i'm concerned, is to remove the particle board and add at least a 1/4" plywood to the existing 1/2" that is there. You're only other option is to install a floating floor, either laminate or real wood. Take some time and look at floating floors and decide if you really want the 3/4"...if you do, spend the extra time and do it right.
Thank you for your advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but I'm going to take your advice. Also, I didn't realize there were floating hardwood floors. Do you know where I can find more information on this? Thank you again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!