I have 1/2" particleboard over 1/2" plywood. Is it OK to install 3/4 oak hardwood over the particleboard? I was told by one installer he wouldn't do it because the nail gun would just blow holes in the particleboard. I was thinking that if the nails were 1/2" longer and he went into the plywood, it would hold. He said no. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks. The particleboard is under my partition walls, so it would be a big deal to remove it first.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but I would never recommend trying to install 3/4 over particle board. You're asking for problems, and throwing your money away. The only option, as far as i'm concerned, is to remove the particle board and add at least a 1/4" plywood to the existing 1/2" that is there. You're only other option is to install a floating floor, either laminate or real wood. Take some time and look at floating floors and decide if you really want the 3/4"...if you do, spend the extra time and do it right.
Thank you for your advice. It's not what I wanted to hear but I'm going to take your advice. Also, I didn't realize there were floating hardwood floors. Do you know where I can find more information on this? Thank you again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes