First off I would not use vinyl siding as from what I have seen it is not the cure all that some are saying it is. I have seen it fading and chalking and it does get brittle and wind will blow it off the house.
I would go with one of the concrete sidings such as Hardi Plank or CemPlank. If you apply an acrylic primer and a acrylic semi-gloss house paint to these products you will easily get 6 to 8 years or more out of the paint job.
If you do go with the vinyl you don't want to apply it over rotted wood as the rotting will continue under the siding and really give you problems.
Remember when they came out with aluminum siding and they said you will never have to paint again. Well guess what you do.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!