First off I would not use vinyl siding as from what I have seen it is not the cure all that some are saying it is. I have seen it fading and chalking and it does get brittle and wind will blow it off the house.
I would go with one of the concrete sidings such as Hardi Plank or CemPlank. If you apply an acrylic primer and a acrylic semi-gloss house paint to these products you will easily get 6 to 8 years or more out of the paint job.
If you do go with the vinyl you don't want to apply it over rotted wood as the rotting will continue under the siding and really give you problems.
Remember when they came out with aluminum siding and they said you will never have to paint again. Well guess what you do.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight