I'm obtaining estimates from contractors to restore my hardwood floors that have been covered for over 30 yrs. One contractor recommended bleaching the floors to remove the dark spots and to lighten the wood. Will this harm the wood?
I am soliciting estimates for refinishing hardwood floors that have been covered by carpet for over 30 years. One contractor has recommended bleaching to remove dark stains and to lighten the wood. Any thoughts? Thx.
Large dark spots, especially those that were caused by water (like dog pee maybe) will be reduced by maybe half with a good sanding (perhaps a little better with an industrial "real" belt sander instead of the square vibrator ********** rents to you). But, don't feel you have to shoot for perfection. That might be good enough. As for the bleaching, I have no idea.
Sorry to tell you, but you can do all the sanding and bleaching you want, but you probably won't do much for removing those dark spots. When moisture gets into the hardwood, especially pet urine, bacteria that is dormant in the wood now has a food source and begins to grow. The dark spots you see in the floor are the bacteria in the wood. These are not topical stains, they will extend all they way through the wood. If you really wish to remove the spots, your best option is to replace the darkened areas with new wood, then refinish the floor so that the patched area will not be noticed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects