I'm obtaining estimates from contractors to restore my hardwood floors that have been covered for over 30 yrs. One contractor recommended bleaching the floors to remove the dark spots and to lighten the wood. Will this harm the wood?
I am soliciting estimates for refinishing hardwood floors that have been covered by carpet for over 30 years. One contractor has recommended bleaching to remove dark stains and to lighten the wood. Any thoughts? Thx.
Large dark spots, especially those that were caused by water (like dog pee maybe) will be reduced by maybe half with a good sanding (perhaps a little better with an industrial "real" belt sander instead of the square vibrator ********** rents to you). But, don't feel you have to shoot for perfection. That might be good enough. As for the bleaching, I have no idea.
Sorry to tell you, but you can do all the sanding and bleaching you want, but you probably won't do much for removing those dark spots. When moisture gets into the hardwood, especially pet urine, bacteria that is dormant in the wood now has a food source and begins to grow. The dark spots you see in the floor are the bacteria in the wood. These are not topical stains, they will extend all they way through the wood. If you really wish to remove the spots, your best option is to replace the darkened areas with new wood, then refinish the floor so that the patched area will not be noticed.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight