I'm obtaining estimates from contractors to restore my hardwood floors that have been covered for over 30 yrs. One contractor recommended bleaching the floors to remove the dark spots and to lighten the wood. Will this harm the wood?
I am soliciting estimates for refinishing hardwood floors that have been covered by carpet for over 30 years. One contractor has recommended bleaching to remove dark stains and to lighten the wood. Any thoughts? Thx.
Large dark spots, especially those that were caused by water (like dog pee maybe) will be reduced by maybe half with a good sanding (perhaps a little better with an industrial "real" belt sander instead of the square vibrator ********** rents to you). But, don't feel you have to shoot for perfection. That might be good enough. As for the bleaching, I have no idea.
Sorry to tell you, but you can do all the sanding and bleaching you want, but you probably won't do much for removing those dark spots. When moisture gets into the hardwood, especially pet urine, bacteria that is dormant in the wood now has a food source and begins to grow. The dark spots you see in the floor are the bacteria in the wood. These are not topical stains, they will extend all they way through the wood. If you really wish to remove the spots, your best option is to replace the darkened areas with new wood, then refinish the floor so that the patched area will not be noticed.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love