My wife and I are buying a new home and are debating whether to pay the builder to install granite countertops in our kitchen or go with a standard formica countertop and go back later and do it ourselves. We're by no means experienced DIY'ers... Anyone have any advice on how difficult this would be and how much we'd be saving money-wise by doing ourselves. Builder is lookin' the charge us around $6K for the install for a pretty large kitchen and island.
Thanks in advance to any replies!
Pay for the install. Granite comes in slabs that must be precisely cut, edged, installed grouted and polished. This requires very expensive and specialized tools. They are very heavy and awkward to move around. Granite counters are also really expensive, and a mistake will cost you thousands in material losses. This is a job I would leave to a pro.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 9 Things You Never Thought to Paint—But Should
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Storage Where You Least Expected It
- 9 Best Lighting Picks for Your Bedroom
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- 10 Alternatives to a Traditional Home Office