My wife and I are buying a new home and are debating whether to pay the builder to install granite countertops in our kitchen or go with a standard formica countertop and go back later and do it ourselves. We're by no means experienced DIY'ers... Anyone have any advice on how difficult this would be and how much we'd be saving money-wise by doing ourselves. Builder is lookin' the charge us around $6K for the install for a pretty large kitchen and island.
Thanks in advance to any replies!
Pay for the install. Granite comes in slabs that must be precisely cut, edged, installed grouted and polished. This requires very expensive and specialized tools. They are very heavy and awkward to move around. Granite counters are also really expensive, and a mistake will cost you thousands in material losses. This is a job I would leave to a pro.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!