My wife and I are buying a new home and are debating whether to pay the builder to install granite countertops in our kitchen or go with a standard formica countertop and go back later and do it ourselves. We're by no means experienced DIY'ers... Anyone have any advice on how difficult this would be and how much we'd be saving money-wise by doing ourselves. Builder is lookin' the charge us around $6K for the install for a pretty large kitchen and island.
Thanks in advance to any replies!
Pay for the install. Granite comes in slabs that must be precisely cut, edged, installed grouted and polished. This requires very expensive and specialized tools. They are very heavy and awkward to move around. Granite counters are also really expensive, and a mistake will cost you thousands in material losses. This is a job I would leave to a pro.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers