I'm putting in a solid unfinished 3/4" x 4 1/4" floor with a full room border. Since the entire room is bordered, I have to do a lot of face nailing on the last row.
One thing I noticed is that if 4 1/4" wide strip is warped it's much more difficult to close any gaps than with 2 1/4" strip because the strips are much, much stiffer. Sometimes even when I can pry it into place and nail it every 6", even the nails won't keep the board tight. Gaps are small and I will be filling the floor but it is somewhat bothersome. I also think that the flooring may be low quality as a large number of the ends are not cut square.
Anyhow, on the borders even when I pry it closed and face nail with a finish nailer the gap re-opens. The finish nail does not have enough holding strength even over 1" ply subfloor.
I was thinking of using cut nails like these for more holding power when face nailing.
Is this a good idea?
Should I predrill at all?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!