I'm putting in a solid unfinished 3/4" x 4 1/4" floor with a full room border. Since the entire room is bordered, I have to do a lot of face nailing on the last row.
One thing I noticed is that if 4 1/4" wide strip is warped it's much more difficult to close any gaps than with 2 1/4" strip because the strips are much, much stiffer. Sometimes even when I can pry it into place and nail it every 6", even the nails won't keep the board tight. Gaps are small and I will be filling the floor but it is somewhat bothersome. I also think that the flooring may be low quality as a large number of the ends are not cut square.
Anyhow, on the borders even when I pry it closed and face nail with a finish nailer the gap re-opens. The finish nail does not have enough holding strength even over 1" ply subfloor.
I was thinking of using cut nails like these for more holding power when face nailing.
Is this a good idea?
Should I predrill at all?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!