I'm putting in a solid unfinished 3/4" x 4 1/4" floor with a full room border. Since the entire room is bordered, I have to do a lot of face nailing on the last row.
One thing I noticed is that if 4 1/4" wide strip is warped it's much more difficult to close any gaps than with 2 1/4" strip because the strips are much, much stiffer. Sometimes even when I can pry it into place and nail it every 6", even the nails won't keep the board tight. Gaps are small and I will be filling the floor but it is somewhat bothersome. I also think that the flooring may be low quality as a large number of the ends are not cut square.
Anyhow, on the borders even when I pry it closed and face nail with a finish nailer the gap re-opens. The finish nail does not have enough holding strength even over 1" ply subfloor.
I was thinking of using cut nails like these for more holding power when face nailing.
Is this a good idea?
Should I predrill at all?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs