I'm putting in a solid unfinished 3/4" x 4 1/4" floor with a full room border. Since the entire room is bordered, I have to do a lot of face nailing on the last row.
One thing I noticed is that if 4 1/4" wide strip is warped it's much more difficult to close any gaps than with 2 1/4" strip because the strips are much, much stiffer. Sometimes even when I can pry it into place and nail it every 6", even the nails won't keep the board tight. Gaps are small and I will be filling the floor but it is somewhat bothersome. I also think that the flooring may be low quality as a large number of the ends are not cut square.
Anyhow, on the borders even when I pry it closed and face nail with a finish nailer the gap re-opens. The finish nail does not have enough holding strength even over 1" ply subfloor.
I was thinking of using cut nails like these for more holding power when face nailing.
Is this a good idea?
Should I predrill at all?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps