Hi all! I recently bought my first home and the home inspector pointed out a lack of under eaves ventilation. He said I should get that ventilation installed to help the HVAC out and to help ventilate the attic area. I've been looking at how to do this myself.
The house is sided and it appears the siding company also installed the current non-vented (solid) under eaves panels. (I'll call them the soffit panels from here on - please advise if I'm using the wrong terminology.) The soffit panels seem to be secured because I can't press up on them to get them to lift/raise up.
It appears I have two choices: (1) Locate a siding contractor to come in and install vented soffit panels. The contractor would have to remove the flashing/cover panels that exist now along the edges of the roof/eaves to get access to the non-vented soffit panels. If I did the job myself, I see where I could do this although my fear would be damaging the cover panels enough that I couldn't reinstall them. Also, finding vented soffit panels of the proper width is a concern - the existing non-vented soffit panels appear to be 12" wide. (2) Purchase soffit vents from one of the big-box stores, cut holes in the non-vented soffit panels, and install the vents over the holes. The vents I've seen appear to be about 12" long by 3" wide. I have plenty of room to install two rows of vents in parallel along the entire length of the under-eaves soffit.
I'm open to advice and suggestions from you who have more experience with this than I do. Should I be looking for other clues to determine how to get at the non-vented soffit panels? Thanks in advance and regards to all! Jim D/West Point, VA (31 years active duty AF service and still serving - voluntarily extended past my mandatory retirement date)
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers